LGBTIQA+ Welcoming Congregation
First Universalist Unitarian Church of Wausau is officially a Welcoming Congregation; we affirm and include people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer at every level of congregational life—in worship, in leadership, and in social occasions—welcoming them as whole people.
You Are Welcome Here
We know that religious spaces haven’t always been welcoming places for all people, especially when it comes to gender and sexuality.
For 25 years, we have worked hard to ensure lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people are full members of our faith communities. Being welcoming means striving for radical inclusion and creating spaces that honor every part of our identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
All of who you are is sacred.
All of who you are is welcome.
OUR DOORS ARE OPEN
We Value Diversity
First Universalist Unitarian Church of Wausau is officially a Welcoming Congregation as recognized by the Unitarian Universalist Association. UU Wausau’s position is that each of us has worth and dignity, and that worth includes our gender and our sexuality.
As Unitarian Universalists, we not only open our doors to people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, we value diversity of sexuality and gender and see it as a spiritual gift. Our inclusive religious community and work for LGBTQ justice and equity as a core part of who we are.
Share Your Experiences
UU Wausau is continuing the crucial work of welcoming diversity through education, community advocacy, and congregational programs.
We know theoretical welcome is very different from lived welcome. We understand the importance of ongoing learning and deeper understanding.
How can we truly embody a spirit of radical hospitality? Our congregation and staff are always open to your experiences to help deepen our congregation’s welcome and inclusion.
Our Ongoing Commitments To You
In addition to the Welcoming Congregation program, we have several ongoing projects or structures that were initiated before or during our certification that we continue to support today.
- We continue to review our church documents to confirm the use of gender-neutral language and LGBTQ+ welcome. There is a nondiscrimination clause in the Personnel Manual which specifically includes sexual orientation.
- UU Wausau has gender-neutral bathrooms.
- Books supporting LGBTQ+ identity are available in the church library and are available for borrowing.
- UU Wausau will continue to celebrate Pride festivities and include other worship services and LGBTQ+ Days of Observance throughout the year.
- Our Minister is enthusiastically willing to provide pastoral services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer milestone rituals such as weddings and gender-affirming ceremonies for members of the congregation as well as non-members and the wider public.
Community Presence & Programs
- We hold events, small groups, and other educational forums, and work to intentionally include topics relevant to LGBTQ+ inclusion & affirmation.
- UU Wausau provides annual financial support to LGBTQ+ support organizations.
- UU Wausau continues to build a LTGBTQ+ affirming presence online, including anti-discrimination and inclusivity messages on our website and social media profiles that express our support for LGBTQ+ community.
- UU Wausau is in the process of analyzing how we present ourselves in our interior space, which includes reviewing our literature & pamphlets from the UUA about LGBTQ affirmation & inclusion, and will be seeking out pamphlets and info sheets for local resources and organizations.